Thursday, October 18, 2007

Peer Pressure - No Excuse

So today I thought I'd write a bit on how I think. The topic of today is (fanfare) peer pressure.

If you watch 'Dr. Phil' or other psychologist programs on television, you'll see that when a teenager or young adult gets into some sort of trouble, they always blame their 'peers.' "Oh, I probably wouldn't drink, smoke, do drugs or have wild parties late into the night if my friends and the people I hang out with weren't doing it." Oh, come on! Seriously? You think THAT'S an excuse?

My mother always said 'Pick your friends, don't let them pick you.' That's true in a sense (yet is a contradiction in itself, but that's not the point). You hang out with people that you know will be a positive influence on you.

However, in the end, influences are NOT what makes your final decision when it comes to actually doing the action in which you're influenced. You have to make the decision whether or not to take the puff of marijuana, or take that shot of whiskey, or go make yourself a teenage father/mother. It's your decision. Not your peers. Influences can be tough to overcome, but in the end, it's your fault, not theirs.

Always think "If they wanna screw up their life, then let them. They wont make me mess mine up." But remember, if your friend or someone you know is harming themselves or the people around them, get them some help. Some problems can be helped with a simple, "Dude, that's not cool," but some need professional help.

Just remember that in the end, it's your decision.

That's it for today. I was thinking I might post an Animal Crossing: Wild World post later today, because that is such a popular game, and I'm very active with it. It's so fun, am I right!?

Keep on readin'
-Matt

No comments: